Friday, November 20, 2009

Misery Loves Company???


This may not be the most appropriate title for my daily musings, but it struck me yesterday while at a 23 things kick-off, that many people are unsure and hesitant about all this web 2.0 stuff. So I am now in the company of a group of other tentative (dare I say miserable?) souls traveling down the cyberspace road. The good news is, that the misery will turn to some sort of enlightenment along the way, and possibly even enthusiasm! For me - the first few weeks were fun, I learned stuff I thought was only accessible to 'techies', and while experimenting with things like Facebook for business or web generators I started also to contribute more to the tech part of our library work! Note that I said the first few weeks.... Then the proverbial wall got hit, in fact slammed would be more appropriate verbiage - followed by 2 weeks of flu. All creative juices got shut down, maybe triggered too by the lack of interaction with library patrons since they did not want to end up on their death bed after a run in with my germs.


So here we are - at a crossroads - do I continue in the face of adversity? "Adversity?' you ask.

Yes - just like the little kid at school that was always top of the class I have now run into my first real challenge. It is a small challenge, but a hurdle nonetheless ... I cannot figure out how to bookmark stuff on Delicious. Really - this should be a no-brainer.... A little web glitch should not get the now web 2.0 inducted me in such a dither. And yet it has.


After a good cup of Mexican Mocha at the Tuckerbox (worth visiting if you are in WRJ I have decided on the road (usually) less taken (by me) and will persevere. Soon I will be able to click on VT's 23 things front page - find my blogging friends and ask them for help! Using Facebook and Twitter, and cloud searches, and more I WILL find the answers to my queries, and I too will be a social bookmarker some day!


Maybe it's not misery loves company after all, maybe it's LEARNERS LOVE COMPANY' !


In keeping with my first blog entry in which I vowed to talk about the books that cross my work desk (and then promptly forgot about this vow amidst the grant applications, overdues, and town budgets) I will read up on Delicious, tagging, and all things related in the book WEB 2.0 and Beyond by Tom Funk, so that I can claim victory and spread the good feeling of success!

1 comment:

  1. Marieke -

    Here's your company - I too am struggling to make time and figure out all the 23 Things - and I am not a technophobe! No post since November? Or do you have another blog just for 23 things? How are you doing with things? Give us an update!

    ReplyDelete